TD Carburettors

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD Carburettors
From: "John Quilter" <jquilter@peoplepc.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:29:25 -0700
For over 25 years I have been running stock SU carbs on my TD but the PO  sold
me the car with one carb with a brass (?) weighted dash pot piston and one
with a pot metal or aluminum piston with a spring to force it down.   It
finally dawned on me this could not be correct, though the car ran OK all
these years.  I have now located and installed a matching pot metal piston
with spring and the car seems to run about as well as before.  My question:
did all TDs with HS1 1.25 inch carbs have the brass weighted pistons or did
some have the pistons with springs.  Is there any problem running the spring
type?  My 1960 Morris Minor runs one HS1 1.25 inch SU with the spring.  Also,
were the dashpot caps the hex type or the knurled type?

John Quilter
Brisbane, California