Re: gas tank cap seal

To: Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz
Subject: Re: gas tank cap seal
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:32:58 -0400
Douglas,
   Just checked my tank cap. No evidence of any leather pieces there.
The cap has a spring-mounted assembly that is two pie-pan-shaped discs
riveted together. The inner, smaller one fits into the hole of the filler
neck, and the outer,  larger one, is pressed by the spring onto the
gasket that is part of the filler neck on the tank.   I replaced the
original, perished gasket with one from Moss a decade or more ago.  The
new one was a rubber ring, like an O ring, but its section was
rectangular instead of round.    Original might have been leather--I
don't remember.
    This assembly is not entirely fuel-tight; it will slosh fuel out if
tank is filled to the top.   I fill with fuel until it is visible 3-4
inches from the top, which eliminates the problem.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:25:53 +1200 "Douglas Ormrod"
<Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz> writes:
> Onto the gas tank this week.
Bob