MG TF suspension

To: <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MG TF suspension
From: John Gunnell <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:50:42 -0600
Hello Mates

I haven't posted anything in a good long time as I've got a project going to
fix up twin red '90 Pontiac Sunbird convertibles for my twin granddaughters
who will turn 16 (driving age) in May 2005. But I got my MG TF 1250 back
from the shop last weekend, so the passion has been reignited.

The car was in the shop since April having the engine rebuilt. What a time
to get the "Your Car is Ready" call in Wisconsin. But last Wednesday was 37
degrees and sunny so I drove it the 60 miles home and it ran like a dream. I
would recommend this shop (Auto Clinic in Neenah, Wis.) to anyone needing an
engine done.

Anyway, the car runs fine, but it drives the same old way. Feels like it has
no suspension. Especially bad when driving over lateral breaks in the road
surface, particularly expansion cracks.

Last year I had the rear shocks rebuilt by Worldwide in Madison, Wis.
Another great place to do business. Now I'm wondering what to do next. Can
leaf springs cause this. They don't look bad. Could it be just the bushings.
Could it be something else all together? (It isn't the tires because I
changed those)_.

This will be a late-winter project. No rush, but any enlightenment will be
most appreciated.

John Gunnell
Old Cars Weekly
Iola, WI