TC Brakes - part 3

To: "mg" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TC Brakes - part 3
From: "Tim Newton" <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:18:35 +1000
Thanks to every one who gave advice on part 1 - rear axel oil leak, then part
2 - leaking wheel cylinders. Both have been fixed.
I took 9356 out today expecting that the brakes would be pretty effective,
having re-sleeved the cylinders, re-lined the shoes, bled the system, adjusted
the hand brake to be fully on at 4 clicks, adjusted the shoes to just under
touching the drums and ensuring the master cylinder push rod allows for the
pressure/fluid return.
I am disappointed with the braking, and you need to apply a great deal of foot
pressure to slow/stop.  The hand brake is only just reasonable.
Is this normal?
Having never relined brake shoes, I wonder if the shoes will rapidly wear into
the drums (although the new shoes were fitted to the drums when re-lined), and
the effectiveness of the braking increase as they wear-in?
PS.  The shoes were re-lined with a woven pad, which appears to have fine
copper thread "woven" into the pad - the shop said these would be far more
effective in 9 inch drums, although quite dearer!
Any advice would be appreciated, particularly if it comforts me that all that
is needed is 100 miles of driving!

Tim Newton
TC '49
Oz