Re: TC Brakes - part 3

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TC Brakes - part 3
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:29:57 -0500
Tim Newton wrote:

> Thanks to every one who gave advice on part 1 - rear axel oil leak, then part
> 2 - leaking wheel cylinders. Both have been fixed.
> I took 9356 out today expecting that the brakes would be pretty effective,
> having re-sleeved the cylinders, re-lined the shoes, bled the system, adjusted
> the hand brake to be fully on at 4 clicks, adjusted the shoes to just under
> touching the drums and ensuring the master cylinder push rod allows for the
> pressure/fluid return.
> I am disappointed with the braking, and you need to apply a great deal of foot
> pressure to slow/stop.  The hand brake is only just reasonable.
> Is this normal?
> Having never relined brake shoes, I wonder if the shoes will rapidly wear into
> the drums (although the new shoes were fitted to the drums when re-lined), and
> the effectiveness of the braking increase as they wear-in?
> PS.  The shoes were re-lined with a woven pad, which appears to have fine
> copper thread "woven" into the pad - the shop said these would be far more
> effective in 9 inch drums, although quite dearer!
> Any advice would be appreciated, particularly if it comforts me that all that
> is needed is 100 miles of driving!

My '49 TC didn't stop all that well either. Then one day, I hit the
pedal and it went to the floor. This was in 1956. The original brake
system had seals in the wheel cylinders that used tiny "daisies" made of
thin sheet-metel to hold the seals against the cylinder walls. These
flexed slightly with pressure and eventually one of the tiny "petals"
would break off and there would be NO brakes at all. I replaced the
entire system with seals from EIS that didn't need the daisies.

It still didn't stop worth a damn.

I sold that car the same year. Now (I think) I have the best of both
worlds: a 1981 Victor. It's an MGB with the big engine and front disc
brakes on a steel frame with a fiberglass TF body. It stops very well.

It goes pretty damned well too.    ;)

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com

1981 Victor TF
1967 Morris Cooper S