TC brakes

To: "mg" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TC brakes
From: "Tim Newton" <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:32:18 +1000
Assistance from the experts, again.
A rear axel oil leak (fixed) wrecked the brake liners so I decided to have
front and rear shoes re-lined. This was done very well with woven liners
fitted to the drums and per spec. When cleaning the brake plates I decided to
check the pistons and found them dirty and some brake fluid trapped behind the
dust covers. All cleaned and the new shoes fitted and ready for bleeding and
final adjustment. Should be the end of the story.

Two issues that I need some advise. It appears that some brake fluid is
escaping past the pistons. Does this mean re-sleaving, and if so what are the
main issues to know.
The other issue is the rear shoe adjustment. Having adjusted the shoes at the
rear of the brake plate, I discovered that the hand brake pulled almost to its
further most stop before engaging. This was not the case before the
replacement of the liners, and it worked on about 3 to 4 clicks. The question
is - if the hand brake is now tightened on each cable adjustment, then this
spreads the shoes. When this happens the ends of the shoes actually pull away
from the pistons, and open to such a level that the shoe adjustment wheel no
longer engages the brake shoe. Is this normal? I could not imagine that
tightening the hand brake  would render the adjusters on the rear plate to no
longer work, but I cant see how both can work together.

Hope I have explained this well enough so that the list can get the picture!

Tim Newton
1949
Oz