Re: TD Generator Q

To: Douglas Ormrod <douglas.ormrod@neurological.org.nz>
Subject: Re: TD Generator Q
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:59:56 -0700
Douglas,

Let me fire a couple of questions back at you.  Is the rear end plate
for the generator the correct type?  By that I mean does it have the
fitting for the tach drive gear box?  If the end plate is correct, then
you are home free.  As far as I know, the only difference between the
C39PV and the C39PV2 would be the armature windings.  Armatures are
available here in the US from Holcombe Armature Co., 905 Rockmart Hwy.,
Villa Rica, GA 30310  Phone 800-241-3027.  These armatures would be the
later ones for the C39PV2 generators, but fit either generator.  If the
field coils have to be changed, you can use the coils out of a MGA or a
MGB generator (if you can't find any, let me know, I have several old
MGB generators laying around).  The front end plate is available from
Victoria British at: http://www.victoriabritish.com/  The common parts
for the MG TD/TF generators, MGA and early MGB are the front end plates,
generator body, front bearing and probably the field coils9The field
coils fron the MGA or MGB generators can be used in the TD generators).
The only part that can't be easily obtained is the rear end plate for
the T series generators.

If you get a replacement armature from Holcombe Armatures, don't send
your old armature in as a core until you receive the new armature.  The
armatures should have a collar around the shaft at the front that sets
the depth that the shaft protrudes through the front bearing.  On the
armatures that I got from them, the collar was missing and I had to take
one from a old armature to put on the new one.  Other than that, there
is no problem with the new armatures.

Good luck,
Dave