Alignment Specs

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alignment Specs
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:57:53 -0500
Hello Mates

   Need advice on alignment specs for my '52 MG TD.

   I practically wore out a pair of P165R15 radial tires last year. These were
both mounted on the front. They both show abnormal wear on the inside half,
especially the right side tire. The rears wore normally and the unused spare
has hardly any wear (that's a joke guys).

   Some of the wear nay be related to the fact that I bought the Reliant brand
tires on eBay and they were NOS (probably sitting in a warehouse for decades).
But as I say, the rears seem OK.

   I have found a local Tires Plus store that will be putting on a set of new
Coopers tomorrow. When I asked them about doing an alignment, they were a bit
hesitant . . . "it's not on the computer" and "I'm not sure there's enough
ground clearance for the machine" . . . that sort of thing. I told them I would
bring the shop manual with the specs but they were still hesitant.

   They say they "might" try lining it up, but as you can tell, I really need
them to do it. So what can I tell them to make them realize the job is easy?
Does anyone have information beyond what's in the shop manual that would make
these guys feel more confident about aligning the TD front end?

   The tires go on just after noon tomorrow, so if you can help, get in touch
soon.

John Gunnell
Old Cars Weekly
Iola, Wisconsin