Re: ignition advance late tc

To: timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au
Subject: Re: ignition advance late tc
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 09:52:14 -0400
Hi Tim,
  Bud Krueger's advice is excellent information and that chart of
advances is interesting. MG used a variety of distributor characteristics
for the XPAG engine. WIth a mirror, you might be able to see the model #s
on your distributor to compare it to the chart.
  Quick & dirty setting method is to make a mark about 4 degrees before
TDC, then do your static timing off that mark.  Today's fuel is better
stuff than the pool fuel for which these engines were configured, so a
bit of additional advance is usually beneficial. Once it's running well,
drive up a hill at 2500 rpm and listen for knocking. If there is some,
retard the spark a little and try again.
   Another way is to determine the distributor advance curve for your
distributor from the chart, note the advance at, say, 3000 rpm, calculate
the diameter & circumference & degrees of the pulley, make a mark there,
then time the engine with a strobe light at your new mark.  The advantage
to this is that you can get a better idea of the advance weights and
their movement at various RPM, but it's harder to do and not really an
improvement over the basic static timing method.
Bob