Differential Assessment

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Differential Assessment
From: William T Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:23:33 -0500
Hello list. In starting my TD restoration I am first disassembling all of
the suspension and chassis parts to come up with a list of needed parts,
mainly rubber and seals, to refurbish everything.

I have two complete rear ends and I'm trying to pick the best one to
utilize. One looks better cosmetically but when I try to turn the
propshaft portion it only turns about 15 degrees resulting in a little
movement of the left axle only. The right seems frozen. I removed the
wheel, brake parts and grease seal. It still won't move. How do I remove
the bearings and assess the axle?

The second looks cosmetically worse on the outside (rust and crud) but is
documented to have only 25,000 miles on it. When turning the propshaft
attachment, one wheel turns a few turns, then stops and the opposite
wheel turns a few, then back to the first. Is this normal? When a place
resistance on one wheel, it turns, and not the other. Having only two
hands, I can't hold both at the same time and turn the shaft. I assume if
I did, both wheels should turn (?).

I don't mean to seem dense, but I am definitely uneducated in the
workings of differentials. Thanks for your help and input.

Bill Snyder
'53 TD in boxes