Re: Watz Wrong With Wipers?

To: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Subject: Re: Watz Wrong With Wipers?
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:11:21 -0700
John,

There is a roll (spring) pin that goes through the main shaft of the
wiper, the shaft that the wiper arm attaches to (or the idler arm on
later TDs).  The purpose of the roll pin is to engauge a grove in the
hollow shaft that engauges with the gears in the wiper motor/gear box
assembly.  This roll pin has a habit of working loose and falling out,
especially under heavy loads (like wiping snow on the windscreen).  Get
a 1/16" roll pin to replace the one that has fallen out.  If the hole
for the pin has been enlarged, you might try going to the next largest
size (3/32").  If this doesn't work, send the wiper to Lew Palmer for
repair.  Lew's e-mail address is lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com.  In the
mean time get a bottle of RainX and apply it to the windscreen in
accordance with the instructions on the bottle.  I have found that since
I started using RainX, I very seldom turn the wipers on (and this is in
Western Washingto State), in fact in heavy rain I find the RainX to be
better at keeping the windscreen clear than the wipers.

Good luck,
Dave