Re: Stuck in the '50s

To: gunnellj@krause.com
Subject: Re: Stuck in the '50s
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:15:10 -0400
John,
   If your TF has left-hand drive, there should be nothing electrical in
the way of the clutch operating levers and pedals.   All the starter
wiring, with the exception of the ground strap from gearbox to chassis,
is on the right side.  The starter itself operates well with either pos
or neg earth.
  The way these clutches are set up, there is a lot less drag on the
starter when the car is in neutral and clutch pedal released than when
clutch pedal is pressed down.  I don't know for sure, but suspect that
the extra drag is a combination of the friction of the carbon-face
throw-out bearing and additional thrust load on the crankshaft.  Whatever
the cause, best practice is to slip into neutral, release the clutch,
then pull starter control.
   But the starter should be able to turn the engine quickly, regardless.
 I wonder if there is a fault in the clutch that is adding more friction
to the situation.  Have you turned the engine with the starting handle?
You might try that to get a feel for resistance, then have someone step
on clutch pedal and see how much resistance increases.
  It's possible that the starter is weak.  It's possible that there are
wiring faults that affect current to the starter (you did say battery had
been  installed backwards)
  Parking lights on the TF front fenders are two-filament bulbs, but I
don't know which you need. They are a standard bulb, though.    Once you
get other problems sorted, you might consider halogen bulbs for the tail
& stop lights.  They draw more current but their brightness is
impressive.
  The instrument cables are similar to those in American cars of the
period. Speedo cable is a tight fit against the floorboard on off side,
so small pliars and removal of the metal cover are necessary.
Bob