Stuck in the '50s

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stuck in the '50s
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:50:40 -0500
STUCK in the '50s?

   I got stuck four times coming to work in my :new" '54 TF this morning. Found
out the battery was in backwards, but changing it hasn't helped this problem:

   Car runs strong, but as soon as I put the clutch in at a stop sign it dies.
Sounds like "needs a tune-up" but read on. If I try to re-start with the clutch
in, it acts dead or near dead. Won't hardly crank or won't crank. If I let the
clutch out it starts. Almost as if the clutch rod was shorting something out,
but I called John Twist and he said he could not think of anything that would
be shorted by the clutch or clutch rod. Tonight I will get under it to see
what's what, but I'm wondering if anyone else ever ran into this?

   A few more more simple questions.

   1) What # bulbs work best in the parking lights?

   2) Anyone know of an off-the-shelf upper radiator hose swap that fits/looks
good?

   3) Any tricks to greasing the speedo cable or just like an old American car?

   4) Any experience with Moss tach cables (original vs. replacement?) and any
tricks to sliding one in. The      car has no tach cable at all.

John Gunnell
Iola, WI