Re: TF Battery

To: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Subject: Re: TF Battery
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:15:46 -0500
John:

<<<snip>>>
#1 - How to charge or "jump" the battery in a positive ground car (I
believe it's still + to + and - to - )
<<<snip>>>
Yes, it's still + to + and - to -.  Connect the GROUND to car with the
dead battery last.  Connect it on the LF side away from the battery and
fuel system.

<<<snip>>>
#2 - If a new battery is needed, is it necessary to take the bonnet
(hood) off and does the TF bonnet remove the same way as the one on my
TD?
<<<snip>>>
I can get the battery in and out of the TD without removing the bonnet.
TC's have to have the bonnet removed.

<<<Snip>>>
#3 - What is the best type of battery to buy? (Group No. etc.)
<<<snip>>>
I use a Walmart Special at $29.95.  It's a one year guarenty with and
additional 4 year pro-rated warrenty.  That's the same deal I got on new
Sears DieHards back in the 70s and they cost $50 then.  Find a battery
designated as Group 24.  They used to be the standard size for many
vehicles.  Or, use a battery to fit a 81 Nissan pickup which is also the
same as a 72 Datsun 240Z which is the same as a 1965 Ambassador which is
the same as a 1960 Rambler which is the same as ...  If you find the
right one, it will only have top terminals.  You can peel off the
labels, or they might not even show as the battery may go in backwards.
That way all you have is a black case.  You may also have to saw off the
ears for the carrying strap.

Blake