Re: MG TD Grill Surround

To: rgt3000@fuse.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG TD Grill Surround
From: MGTD2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:45:31 -0400
Hi Rick.
My experience with this was that a good plater that does antique auto parts
should be able to steer you to a "tin smith" who can hammer out dents, fill
holes, mend tears, and otherwise do magic on your radiator shell.  The plater I
used (23 years ago) sent my shell to the smith first, then again after the
copper plating so it could be detailed, and only then did he put the chrome
plating on.  It looked like hell when I took it in, and it came back optically
straight along the side panels-- which is a pleasure to gaze at even now.  But
that was from the *third* plater I tried.  Caveat emptor!  Even some of the
high priced send-away places can do poor work.  Try to see the product first
hand, check some references among demanding clientele (like AACA resto freaks),
and ask him how many times he'll re-do the job if there are grinder marks or
polishing swirls in the finished part.
John Deikis
Chelsea, Michigan