Condensor plate screws

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Condensor plate screws
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:55:00 -0500
Hello

   I just got back from the GOF Central in Delevan, Wis. Fantastic! 145 cars
and over 100 T Series. 483 miles without a major hitch on top of a 200-mile
trip to Elkhart Lake the previous weekend.

   One old problem resurfaced twice. The little screws that hold the "condensor
plate" down in the distributor loosen up. I had this problem in the spring,
then not again until this trip, but twice on this trip.

   A restorer suggested that the holes the screws go into are longer than the
screws themselves. Thgus, there are good treads at the bottom and if you could
get a longer screw of exactly the same tread pattern the holes would be "good
for another 50 years." Another MG'er suggested just a drop of Loc-Tite on each
screw. Another suggested self-tapping screws of "about" the same size (which
sounded hit-or-miss to me).

   Has anyone dealt with this problem and come up with a fix?

John Gunnell
Old Cars Weekly