Re: Brake/Stop Light Switch

To: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake/Stop Light Switch
From: Ted Jackson <ted@the-jacksons.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:07:18 -0400
Hi Stu,

I put a new switch in last spring.  My regular LBC garage guy told me
that I could do it and there would be minimal fluid loss.  He was right
but...

In my case it was so tough for me to budge the old switch that I was
afraid I would break the brake lines.  So I took the TD, and my new
brake switch, down to his shop.  Good that I did!

The pros got the old switch off without a problem, and put the new one
on in jig time.  But the second they put pressure on the brake pedal the
switch leaked at the junction.  The problem was that the old brake
switch was tapered where it fitted into the junction so, as it was
tightened down, it made a good seal.  The new switch, from a Moss
distributor, wasn't tapered and wouldn't seal.  They should be tapered.

They had a copper washer of the right size, something I wouldn't have
had available, and fitted it to make a tight seal.

So, to answer your question - yes, you can pull the switch without
significant fluid loss.  Stick a piece of tape or a small cork over the
hole if you expect to spend a lot of time contemplating your old switch.

But new switches are cheap and the advice I was given was "it's always
the brake switch - just replace it".  Just try to get a switch with the
proper taper.  If you can't then have an annealed washer ready to deploy.

Cheers,

Ted Jackson