RE: regulator driving me crazy

To: "'Mike Duvall'" <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: regulator driving me crazy
From: "James Fischer" <jfischer@supercollider.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:21:05 -0400
> I don't think my battery is charging and if I disconnect the
> battery the car dies. When I flip on the headlamps, I get a
> -10 amp discharge.
>
> The cutoff contact seems to be working and connecting to the
> bat at 12.5 or so. The regulator side of the VR is what is
> confusing. I can adjust the voltage at the D terminal to 15.5
> (or whatever). But I not sure I getting the proper amperage.

At risk of sounding silly, have you looked at the quality of
the ground (or "earth" if you want to be oh-so British about it)
connections?

If you are getting proper voltage, but not enough current,
I'd suspect a bad/loose/flaky/rusted/dirty ground.

This is a corollary to the axiom that 97% of all MG carb
problems are electrical in nature.  :)

                jim