Re: [MG-MGB] Tightness in 1st Gear - Warm Engine

To: Ted Jackson <ted@the-jacksons.net>, "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] Tightness in 1st Gear - Warm Engine
From: Walton Smith <waltonps@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:56:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Ted,
For question concerning any Red Line product, you can contact the
technical department at Red Line either by phone or email. Dave the
technical adviser, is a fountain of information and has the innate
ability to communicate effectively regardless if you are an engineer,
chemist, mechanic, or weekend driver. I swear by all their products,
and would not run my TD without water wetter, and MT fluid.
Cheers;
Walt

Red Line Oil
1 (800) 624-7958
Tech@RedLineOil.com
www.redlineoil.com

Bob,

To clarify (in my mind anyway), the 75W140NS was for your TD - right?
I wonder about going to a higher viscosity, just to quieten a noisy
first gear.

I do use, and recommend, Redline MT-90 in my TD transmission based on
my
subjective sense of much improved shiftability.  NOT, I hasten to add,
on any personal technical depth whatsoever!

And let me tack on another question for you and the list.
The transmission takes .710 litres of MT-90.  The differential takes
1.3
litres of Redline 75W90.  So I end up buying 1 U.S. quart of MT-90 and
2
of 75W90.

My question is - Could I use MT-90 in the differential?  That way 2
quarts of MT-90 would do the whole job.  Maybe Skip Kelsey would be
kind
enough to give an opinion.

Ted Jackson
1951 MGTD #5554
NEMGTR #12011

Bob D. wrote:
> I finally got around to trying some heavier oil in the tranny, Red
Line