Re: [MG-MGB] Tightness in 1st Gear - Warm Engine

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] Tightness in 1st Gear - Warm Engine
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:08:02 -0000
Wow! My TD has the exact same symptom, right down to the 30 minutes! I wonder
if we have the same problem? I figure the time factor must be related to
something heating up. Now the TD doesn't have synchromesh in 1st, so
synchromesh can't be the problem in my case. (And, I religiously come to a
complete stop before shifting into first.) When 1st gets too cranky, I just
start up in 2nd. With the stock 5.125 rear end on the TD, 1st is a bit of a
granny gear anyway.

The time/temperature angle makes me wonder if the viscosity of the oil has
something to do with the problem. This is just a theory, but maybe the Redline
MTL I'm using is too thin at temperature. Or perhaps, the problem is really a
worn part that functions better when the oil is thicker/colder. I'm tempted to
try a heavier gear oil. This may be a "Band-Aid", but if it works what the
heck.

I'm going to cross post this to the mg-t list, maybe someone there has an
idea.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470