Re: GTLMA brake fluid

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: GTLMA brake fluid
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:27:40 -0800
Bob,

That is one of the drawbacks to silicone fluid, if water does find it's
way into the system through accident or condensation, it will statify
and remain there.  To date, the only repair I have had to make was
replacement of the master cylinder cup that wore out.  There was no
indication of water at that point, but then that is not a low point.

By the way, for the others who can't find Castrol GTLMA fluid, all DOT 4
fluid by federal specification is LMA.  That is the big difference
between it and DOT 3.  The other difference being a higher boiling point
when fresh.  I have read, however that once it is contaminated with
water, the boiling point is lower than DOT 3 with an equal amount of
moisture absorbtion.  Anyone who is interested in reading the federal
and SAE specifications  for brake fluids (and  can remain awake through
it), e-mail me and I will send you links to the specs.

Dave