Re: GTLMA brake fluid

To: rob20001955mg@cs.com
Subject: Re: GTLMA brake fluid
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:07:43 -0800
If the switch to silicone is made in a system that has had DOT 3 or DOT
4, it must be flushed completely and all the seals replaced.  It seems
that, while silicone and DOT 3 & 4 are not incompatible, if one is put
in a system in which the other type has resided and been absorbed by the
seals, there is a problem of desorbtion of the one and absorbtion of the
other, leading to the seals swelling.  If the system is well flushed and
new seals installed, there is no problem.  I have been using silicone in
my TD for the past 20 years and have never changed it at all during that
time.  Not only have I had no problems, but when I checked the fluid
recently, it was still as crystal clear as the day I put it in.  With no
moisture absorbtion, there is no corrosion in the system.

I checked with the local NAPA store and they said that they do not carry
Castrol GTLMA.  Another, locally owned store still carries it, so I
believe it is still out there, just takes some looking.

Good luck,
Dave