Re: GTLMA brake fluid

To: ddubois@sinclair.net
Subject: Re: GTLMA brake fluid
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:10:55 -0500
Dave,
  You mentioned that you checked your DOT5 fluid and found it clear, with
no water. I too installed DOT5 in my TD in 1974 and thought it was
forever and ever without maintenance.  As you have done, I have checked
the fluid from time to time, and thought that that was confirming the
mainteance-free nature of DOT5 until I learned that that test may not be
sufficient.
   Recently I replaced a rear wheel cylinder that had been sleeved by
WhitePost at the time of DOT5 installation.  It was pitted, from water I
suppose, and there were droplets of water in the fluid I drained from
this, and then all the other cylinders.
   What I have learned is that, although DOT5 silicone does not absorb
water from the atmosphere, condensation can form in the system and become
little water droplets. These settle out at low points in the system.
   I still like the DOT5, but now I believe that it's not the forever
maintenance-free product that it was said to be when introduced.  I
believe that bleeding off some fluid every year or two will remove the
water droplets that are likely to occur in our systems that lack a
diaphram in the MC to separate atmosphere from the surface of the brake
fluid.
Bob