Re: TD2 vs TD MkII

To: pthiel@QuixNet.net
Subject: Re: TD2 vs TD MkII
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:32:53 -0500
Peter,
 TD2 is the marking on the engine that indicates the larger, 8" clutch
and fittings.
 MkII, marked on some engines as TD3, and not on others, indicates the
1.5 inch carbs, larger air cleaner, larger valves, higher compression,
twin fuel pumps (for those times when you burn more than ten gallons per
hour),  Andrex friction dampers, 4.875 rear gears. The bulge is to allow
clearance for the air cleaner manifold that protrudes farther to the
side.
 Some cars, made in 1953, had chrome grille and a badge on the bonnet.
Older cars appear same as standard TDs. Earliest TDs don't even have
engine identification.
 For a complete explanation of this subject, look up Chip Old's article
in The T Owners Handbook, pub by NE MG T Register.
Bob
 TDc21934