Re: Seatbelts?

To: Robert Johnson <rjdirect@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Seatbelts?
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:49:07 -0600
<<<snip>>>
No one has yet mentioned the Law. To the best of my knowledge, it
is illegal
to operate a motor vehicle anywhere in North America without
wearing a
seat belt.
<<<snip>>>

AFAIK, cars not originally equipped with seat belts are except by
federal law.  State laws may vary.  In SD you don't have to put
seat belts in vehicles not manufactured with them.  The same
federal law applies to turn signals, dual braking systems, 5 mph
bumpers, tail light brightness, turn signal color, running
lights, separate turn and stop lamps, third stop lamp, anti glare
dash, padded dash, anti glare wiper arms, two wipers, etc.  So,
my TD is legal in South Dakota as originally manufactured even
without turn signals.

Because of the TD's wood construction and chassis design, I don't
think it can be made very safe.

Blake
P.S. I've always worn the seat belts and chest strap in a car
factory equipped with them (As early as the 1950s), even before
laws mandated their usage.