RE: Synthetic oil

To: "'mg-t@autox.team.net'" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Synthetic oil
From: "Hermance, Jonathan" <Jonathan_Hermance@ATK.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:48:07 -0500
Bob,

I too use a synthetic in the trans and rear end.  I think I used Redline
products, its been a few years since I did it.  Since a shop in Sacramento,
CA did my engine 30-odd years ago, I would guess the rear main seal is the
original rope.  I would estimate half of my quart of oil used in about 1200
miles drips out of the  bell housing from the rear main seal area.  The rest
gets by the rings in my worn to hourglass shaped originally 0.080" over size
cylinder bores.  My valve guides, hardened seats and Stellite (sp?) valves
were new at the time of going to synthetic oil in the engine.  I would
suggest the swelling of gaskets and seals will not compensate for wear but
after about 500 miles the engine will not leak any more than it did with
regular oil :)

Jon