water outlet bolts

To: "mg-t@autox.team.net" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: water outlet bolts
From: Francis Precht <fprecht@mail.frostburg.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:22:13 -0400
Greetings, listers.
I need a bit of advice again.  2 of the 4 threaded holes for the water
outlet elbow on my TD are in poor shape, and tear up the threads of new
8mmX1 bolts.  I'd like to first run a tap thru the holes to chase them
before I resort to anything more drastic like tapping out to 5/16BSF or
using a helicoil or threaded insert.

BUT, do the holes extend into the oil gallery ?  It seems that when I
removed them, their ends and threads were covered in oil.  Do I need to
remove the head to make sure that no metal bits end up where they're not
supposed to go ??

Many thanks in advance for advice.
Bud Precht