Re: Need advice on Side Curtains and Top

To: MGTD1952@cs.com
Subject: Re: Need advice on Side Curtains and Top
From: "John T. Seim" <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:03:07 -0700
MGTD1952@cs.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/16/01 8:32:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bobmgtd@home.com
> writes:
>

> > I need to get the "weather" equipment for my TD. I see Moss offers a choice
> > between something called stayfast and vinyl. Which is better, and what is
> > the proper color for an ivory TD? Is there an alternate source for the side
> > curtains? Perhaps a less expensive source?
Moss Motors sells a quality made top. The upholstery shop I use has seen
a lot, and recommends Moss tops to their customers. I would recommend
the Stayfast over the duck. Robbins Tops in Los Angeles also makes tops.
Their price cannot best Moss when upholstery kits go on sale mid-Feb.-
early April. As to side curtains, if you have the old curtain covering,
any competent auto upholstery shop can use your curtains as patterns,
and produce new pieces. They should be able to produce for less that
Moss, whether they can match Stayfast Tan with sand backing, I don't
know. But, you might want to use some other material to cover the
curtains, as Stayfast is expensive. The auto upholstery shop should be
able to produce side curtains for less than the Moss price. The plastic
windows are stiched between the inner and outer layers of canvas.
However, they generally cannot heat seal, so they recommend a vendor
made top, over making one themselves, because they cannot heat seal the
rear window area.

> All TD's left Abington with Tan weather equipment.  Only in the aftermarket
> did other colors show up.  Canvas was the original, and Stayfast comes fairly
> close to that.  Check Abingdon Spares, and there is an outfit that provides
> an alternative, I think it's called Caribou Canvas.  I've never used them
> (and don't know anybody who has) but you can find their advert in Hemmings.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND CARIBOU CANVAS. Their price is unbelieveably low,
and you get what you pay for. Tops don't fit, and the company isn't
interested in correcting their patterns. Company is in Lake Forest, CA,
about 10 miles from my location. One club member used them based on
location, price, and material. Well, price was great, kit was missing
trim and straps, top didn't fit, and management isn't interested in
seeing what the problems are, in order to correct them. Another member
bought a top for his MGA, same problems. Kits are made in orient, so
changes to their patterns won't be forthcoming. The guy would rather
sell FIAT parts, and isn't concerned, as sales are good.
John Seim
Irvine, CA