Oil leaks and tappety tappets

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil leaks and tappety tappets
From: Andrew Moyce <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:53:50 -0400 (EDT)
My 1500 mile rebuilt engine keeps leaking oil (I know, what's new.)
We did the standard rear seal, which seems to be holding well.
It seems to me that the oil is coming from under the valve cover at
the rear left corner of the engine. I have a new cork gasket, and
have the knobs as tight as I can get them by hand. Should I use
anything else?

Also, just a question.
After the rebuild the engine was very quiet, but after about 500
miles it developed pretty significant tappet tap.  This is a click-
click-click that varies with rpm and is independent of load.
Readjusting the valves had no effect, and it still runs fine.
I think the onset might have been when the fan hit the . . . clamp on
the rear water hose.  I had to do a roadside repair on the lower
hose, and I put a hose clamp on with the screw facing inwards. When I
started the engine the fan blade hit the screw. The fan stopped and
the belt squealed until I could turn the engine off. I can't imagine
that this amount of force could affect the timing gear, but I did
notice the tappet noise from that time on.  Any thoughts?

Andy Moyce
52 TD