Re: TUBE CLARIFICATION

To: Herald1200@aol.com
Subject: Re: TUBE CLARIFICATION
From: Charles Hill <candahill@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:26:21 -0500
> > The correct tubes are EITHER "FR15"  or "GR15"-- but Question #1: which of
> > these two sizes;  Question #2:  What does the "F" and the "G" indicate
> > (assuming the "R" identifies the tube as a radial tire tube).
> >
> > Any tire guys out there?
> >
> John, I'm NOT a tire guy, so this is a bit of a guess. But these sound
> suspiciously like "new old stock" tubes or else newish tubes with an old
> sizing designation. Before American tire sizes finally went to the metric
> designations, they had those wonderful letter designations such as F78-15 or
> FR70-14. I would guess, based on what little I remember of those days and
> designations, that the "F" tube would be closer to the correct size for what
> I'll assume are 165 x 15 tires.
>
> The few radial tubes I've seen in recent years have metric size (or size
> range) designations on them.
>
> --Andy Mace (not a TD owner, just a fan!)

Andy,
I don't think thats the same system.  An F70 was a pretty wide tire.
Thats what was on my 69 Plymouth Roadrunner.  These were all tubeless
tires anyway. The last non-wire wheel car that I had that ran tube type
tires was a 68 Porsche 911S (Euro spec).  It had tube type Michelins.
XWX I think.

Regards,
Charles Hill