Re: TUBE CLARIFICATION

To: MGTD2@aol.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TUBE CLARIFICATION
From: Herald1200@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:46:54 EDT
In a message dated 4/23/2001 11:32:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, MGTD2@aol.com
writes:

> The correct tubes are EITHER "FR15"  or "GR15"-- but Question #1: which of
> these two sizes;  Question #2:  What does the "F" and the "G" indicate
> (assuming the "R" identifies the tube as a radial tire tube).
>
> Any tire guys out there?

John, I'm NOT a tire guy, so this is a bit of a guess. But these sound
suspiciously like "new old stock" tubes or else newish tubes with an old
sizing designation. Before American tire sizes finally went to the metric
designations, they had those wonderful letter designations such as F78-15 or
FR70-14. I would guess, based on what little I remember of those days and
designations, that the "F" tube would be closer to the correct size for what
I'll assume are 165 x 15 tires.

The few radial tubes I've seen in recent years have metric size (or size
range) designations on them.

--Andy Mace (not a TD owner, just a fan!)