Re: Carbon Ignition Wires

To: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>, MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon Ignition Wires
From: Andrew Kirk <andrewk962@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 21:50:41 -0800 (PST)
Hi All:
     I am a newcommer to this group, I joined
yesterday, but I have owned a 55 RHD TF for 40 years.
In better times I also was an engineer at a major
airline in the communication department.  Our ground
radio department had UHF two way radios in trucks.  We
found that the best ignation wiring was to use copper
wires that were supressed by a ferrite coating. These
gave superiour ignation suppression and good
performance.  If anyone is interested I will furnash
the name of the manufacturer.  Other comments that
have been made reguarding other electric sources of
interferience in the car are also valid.  I tried to
operate a HF transceiver in an Alfa Romeo and the fuel
pump turned out to be a major source of noise.  This
was fixed with a Lucas pump.  The origional was a
Marrilli.  Also try grounding the rear end of the
exaust pipe to the frame.  The sujestion of checking
with a portable radio is an excellent one.
      One last point, as you try each method and find
no improvment, do not discard it, a lower noise will
be masked by a louder one.  When you have finally
eliminated the interfearience, then one by one, remove
the supression methods checking each time.  It may
well be that a lesser source of noise has been masked
by the "worser", (my wife will kill me for that word),
one.
Andy  1955 TF.

=====
Andy                    Work is the curse of the bikeing
Andrew J. Kirk          classes!!
andrewk962@yahoo.com
akirk@etm-inc.com(work)  650-941-1287, cell 510-459-4452

http://shopping.yahoo.com/