Carbon Ignition Wires

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carbon Ignition Wires
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 07:32:39 -0500
About four months after getting my TD (Jan 1999), I had severe leg
cramps and had to install a cruise control OR get rid of the TD. The
cruise control required resistive ignition wires. How are these suppose
to be installed/terminated?

The original steel ignition wires had been poked through the hole of a
little brass disk, soldered and then stuck into the appropriate holes in
the distributor cap and retaining cap tightened. Of course you cannot
solder carbon wires.

I have done the following, which seems to work, but which may not be
correct. I cut off about a quarter inch of the outer insulation of the
carbon wire, poke the center carbon wire (looks like fiberglass wrapped
in a black sheath) through the brass disk, insert carefully into the
distributor hole so the carbon wire is bent under the brass disk and
then tighten the retaining cap.

Is this correct or a satisfactory way of terminating the carbon ignition
wires? Should the fibers be flared first before inserting into the
distributor. After I tighten the cap, the wires seem to flare/crush on
their own.

Since I have no experience or knowledge on carbon wires (or TDs for that
fact - but learning from necessity), I am open to any and all
suggestions suggestions.

I have been thinking of going back to steel ignition wires and then
using resistive spark plugs. I have not tested whether or not the spark
will interfere with the cruise control (steel wires with regular spark
plugs DOES NOT WORK). Which would be preferable or would it be a toss up
to use 1) carbon wires or 2) steel wire and resistive plugs?

Stu Keen
51 MGTD MkII