Fan Shroud

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan Shroud
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:48:22 -0500
In the summer, Florida is HOT! When DRIVING in 90 deg F (or more)
outside temperature, the water temperature in my TD is normally between
83 and 87 deg. C. I have CALIBRATED the water temp gauge so I know this
is accurate. When I am at idle, like at a stop light, after a minute or
two, the temperature begins to creep upward. Sometimes reaching the low
90s. Still acceptable. However, on several occasions the wait has been
long, like getting placed on the grounds of a car show. At these times,
the temp gauge has exceeded the 100 deg C maximum.

Because of worry about loosing water/antifreeze, I have installed an
overflow bottle on the radiator's overflow pipe. It works great. As the
water temp cools, the fluid is sucked back into the radiator.

However, exceeding 100 deg C even for a short time is probably not good
for the engine and at 100 deg C, all the fluid could boil out. I would
like to install a fan shroud and am open to ideas. I received an idea
some months back about using the rim of a large plastic flower pot.
However, I would be interested in other suggestions experienced TD
owners might have; so I can chose the one that is best for my
capabilities and installation.

Thanks one and all.

Stu Keen
51 MGTD MkII