RE: front coil spring

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: front coil spring
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:32:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Curtis Cook wrote to mg-t@autox.team.net:

> Francis- I believe that what is important is for the springs to be the
> same height.  Buying in pairs assures you of that match.

Spring rate (how much force it takes to compress the spring) is also
important.  Two coil springs can have the same height, but very different
rates, which will do very strange things to the car's handling.  There is
no easy way to determine the spring rate of the old spring, so it is
usually best to replace both springs to ensure they are the same height
AND rate.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E