Just what's wrong with today's youth, anyway?!

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Just what's wrong with today's youth, anyway?!
From: "Bob Mitchell" <skunk149@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:27:10 EDT
Since we're baring our souls, (re: the 30-year old writer) I'm facing the
big 5-0 next month, and  very new to the MG "coven", innocently paying 'way
too much for a 53 TD Mk II who's engine was completely worn out, and is now
being rebuilt, thanks to fine, great, new friends and an honest (!) mechanic
in Milford, CT.
But, to get to the point, I'm a high school teacher in a wealthy New York
City bedroom community, and my school has chosen to elimiate any shop, home
ec., or other practical, non-academic courses, save for music and art.  This
is only part of the problem. High school kids are different today, and they
don't build, repair, or fool around with tools, appliances, models, or
gadgets. They can solve any computer problem, but I fear they are not
"handy", and their families are not working on cars, or go-karts, or any
such thing that we enjoyed.  My male students love to talk cars with me, but
it's all about performance and speed "stats", and not about respect for
vintage marques. They are given  first cars that are difficult to work on,
without computer equipment.  Have you ever looked under the hood at a new
Honda?  Times have changed, Hallowe'en is now a legally-protected
pseudo-holiday, and nothing stays the same.
Would anyone have an unwanted Brooklands screen?