Re: Speedometer cable lube

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer cable lube
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:24:44 -0700
Bud:

This must be on the TD because the post is to that list.  Original TD's dont'
have a closed exterior cable like the MGA and MGB.  By that, I mean there is no
plastic outer sheath.  As a result dirt and other material goes between the
windings of the outer core.  Any lubricant inserted into this will just become a
gummy mess.  Additionally, because the outer sheath doesn't have a plastic
cover, any pressurized lubricant will only penetrate about a foot before it
oozes out between the windings.

IMO you should remove the intire cable assembly and clean the two disassmebled
parts: the sheath and the cable.  The sheath can be cleaned internally by
coiling it into a small diameter coil and washing in a pan of solvent.  The
coiling will open the cable on the outside edge.  Coil and clean several times
winding the cable in different positions.  Blow out the cleaning fluid then
lubricate.  For lubrication I prefer to use pure graphite as it contains no oil
or grease which will combine with dirt and metal particles to form the gum
again.

Blake
TD
twin cam