Re: Cooling Leak Mystery

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>, Scott Allen <s4usea@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling Leak Mystery
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 21:35:38 -0700
Scott:

You have/had a pump seal leaking.  At the bottom of the water pump is
a drain hole.  It lets the water out of the pump if it seeps past the
seal and drains it before it can seep into the bearings.  That is why
there's no coolant on the pulley.

Scott wrote:

After some inspection I determine that the leak is from the bottom of the
water pump, travelling down the motor mount plate on the right side on the
front of the engine and down the oil pan onto the ground.  Since there's no
coolant on the back of the pully I  assume that the bearing's aren't leaking
or that the carbon seal hasn't gone.  I figure that the gasket has failed
and I need to replace it.