Re: Timing the Pertronix ignition

To: <amoyce@pol.net>, "T-Series E-mail" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing the Pertronix ignition
From: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:04:42 -0700
Andy,

This is a follow up on Ray's suggestion to dynamically time your Pertronix
ignition at full advance.  According to my workshop manual, 32 degrees full
advance is specified for the TD.  No engine speed is given.  In the section
on TFs, however, 25 degrees is stated for the TF at 3100 RPM.  Based on
this, I think you would be OK if you timed your TD at 32 degrees, 3100 RPM.

To get the proper distance from the TDC mark on the pulley (for 32 degrees),
measure the diameter of your pulley and multiply by .278.  If you have one
of the new fancy timing lights (spelled expensive), you can read the degrees
directly without measuring the pulley.

Although the method of timing described by Ray is better, your original
scheme shouldn't have been that far off.  I doubt if very much advance would
have kicked in at 800 RPM.  To play it safe, follow Ray's advice and time at
full advance.

Ben Prince