Re: Bug sprayer brake bleeder

To: bill@clovermachine.com
Subject: Re: Bug sprayer brake bleeder
From: Geoff Love <engconn@f-tech.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:46:53 -0400

Bill Traill wrote:

> A couple years ago I saw a great idea in Military Vehicles
> Magazine for bleeding brakes.  Get a quart or 1/2 gallon pump-up
> (hudson type) bug sprayer at your local hardware store and plumb
> it, with shut-off valve,  to a spare master cylinder cover. Place a
> quart of your favorite brake brew into the sprayer tank, a couple
> pumps, and then just go around the vehicle opening the bleed
> valves.  No pumping the pedal, and lots of volume.  I would suggest
> that on TC's, keep the pressure low, as the reservoir is just a tin
> can.
>
> A flat plate, rubber gasket and u-bolts are suggested for modern
> pressed steel type master cylinder covers if a spare can not be
> found (dual resevoirs... two inlets?).
>
> The author recommended bleeding brakes every year or two as
> conventional  (DOT 3 ?) fluid will absorb water from the air.
>
> Bill
>
> Bill

I notice you say you saw this idea.  Did you actually try it? I did,
years ago.  If you had, you would have found that as you pumped the air
into the reservoir of the bug sprayer, bubbles would rise through the
brake fluid, resulting in more of an aerated foam rather than an
unadulterated bubble free liquid.  This negates what you are trying to
achieve. If you try this method, make sure the pump mechanism doesn't go
to the bottom of the tank.

There is no better way of doing this job than having another humanoid
sitting in the car, and shoving a foot on the correct pedal at the
appropriate moment.

Geoff Love.