MG TD Pistons

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: MG TD Pistons
From: Brian Smith <btsmith@island.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 21:13:21 -0700
Hi All

I have been getting the TD mail for a while now but haven't had any
questions to put out there until now. I am rebuilding a 1950 MG TD that
was in stotage from approx 1976. On pulling the engine apart it appears
that someone rebuilt it just before it was taken off the road and
internally it is great. Bearings are like new, plastiguage shows them to
be on spec, new pistons, rings etc. The problem is that the engine has
obviously been run but it is impossible to tell how many miles were put
on it. When I pulled the head and noticed the bores and the .030 pistons
I was pleased but on taking a second look all of the pistons have been
put in with the marking "FRONT" facing the back of the engine.

The question is.....should I leave well enough alone or do I pull the
pistons, disconnect the connecting rods and replace with the pistons the
correct way around. Is it that critical now???

Thanks
Brian