Re: MG TD Pistons

To: "Brian Smith" <btsmith@island.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG TD Pistons
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 21:40:38 -0700
Brian,

Pistons marked "Front" usually have a split on one side of the skirt.
Running them the wrong way round can cause premature failure. If the rest of
the engine appears not to have had much use since being rebuilt, it's
reasonable to assume the pistons will still be OK. However, you really
should take them out, have a competent automotive machine shop inspect them
for any unusual wear, then refit them the correct way round only if they are
given a clean bill of health (making sure the split side of the con rod
little end is on the correct side of the engine, too).

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center