Re: Carb Jet Seals

To: "Scott Allen" <s4usea@hotmail.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb Jet Seals
From: "Ray McCrary" <spook01@home.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 20:18:45 -0500
I have seen rubber (and ized) seals on many older cars leak due to the new
unleaded "oxygenated" fuel being pawned off on us as a help to the
environment.  The new fuel contains a lot more benzene than did the older
formulation (of unleaded) of fuel.
Most of the older rubber won't cope with it...it begins to leak, or it
hardens.  There are seals that are made of different substances that will
cope with the stuff, made of (I believe) a nitrile rubber.
As to the cork, I used to soak the cork in engine oil or olive oil to soften
them before installation. I found no leaks.
Best,
Ray McCrary
"Speed is Life;
of course Luck and Altitude