Re: [mg-tabc] Re: Re: MGTD Paint

To: mg-t@autox.team.net, mg-tabc@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Re: Re: MGTD Paint
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 23:37:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 31 May 2000, Geoffrey WHEATLEY wrote to Chip Old:

> Chip as you know I drove these cars to the docks at Southampton and I
> can tell you that I never saw any thing beond the very limited range of
> post war colours

Nothing I ever found when I was researching such things for TSO back in
the 70's refutes that.  I did come across a few original owners who bought
their new post-war T-Types in non-standard colors and/or with "optional"
equipment not listed in the factory sales literature or parts catalogs.
In every case where the history of the car could be documented the
non-standard equipment turned out to be aftermarket stuff apparantly
installed by the dealer, and there was usually strong evidence that the
non-standard paint jobs were also dealer-applied either at customer
request or as the result of severe shipping damage.  Of course from the
original purchaser's point of view that's the way the car was when
purchased new, so it was "original".  In a sense they're right, although
that's at odds with the purist's concept of "factory original".

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E