RE: Bleeding brakelines

Subject: RE: Bleeding brakelines
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:46:00 -0700
Stuart:

I bleed the brakes as one man operation without any fancy check
valve.  Years ago I purchased another type of one man bleeder
that works on the vacuum principal.  Problem was, it sucked air
from around the bleeder screw threads, and you couldn't tell when
you had the air out as there were always bubbles in the fluid.

So now I just use the reservoir, and bleed them as you described.
However, when I open the bleed screw, it's open about one half
turn. That's so I can rotate the still attached box end wrench
into the closed position without having to reposition it.

That perhaps may be the only difference between my system and
yours.  The system may be sucking air around the screw because
the foot valve prevents any back flow. With the old jar method,
when you release
the pedal and the system needs fluid faster than it can get from
the reservoir, it can draw some back up the tube.

Going more slowly on the pedal release may help. Another
possiblity may be that the valving in the master cylinder, or one
of the holes from the reservoir to the cylinder, is not fully
functioning..

If you have some brake grease, i.e. grease used for lubrication
in brake systems, try removing the bleed screw and smearing some
around the threads to keep it from sucking air.

You did adjust the brakes after assembly?