Bleeding brakelines

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bleeding brakelines
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:44:06 -0400
What's the secret for bleeding brake lines on a TD? I recently purchased
a brake bleeding kit that has a one way valve at the end of a clear
tube; the instructions clearly state that it is for a one man operation
and that the valve end does not have to be in a jar of brake fluid. All
sounds logical, but when I try bleeding the system, it is always
"spongy" at the pedal afterwards. I bleed again, and I find minute
bubbles. Prior to cleaning the front right brake lining and cylinders,
the brake system performed well, i.e. not spongy.

I start with the right rear wheel, since that is the farthest from the
master cylinder, then rear left, front right and finally front left;
always keeping the master cylinder filled. I push the pedal down slowly
(3-5 second) and let the pedal rise upwards slow in same amount of time.

Any suggestions, further instructions or success with these one person
brake bleeding kits would be appreciated.

Stu Keen
51 MGTD MkII