TF origin and tire help needed

To: MG T List <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TF origin and tire help needed
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 20:23:20 -0500
I've been trying to track down where my '54 MGTF 1500 RHD model was
originally shipped to.  The car is a code 26 RHD, export model
(HDP26/8299) - apparently only 19 RHD export models were built in 1954.
I did obtain a BMHT certificate, they confirmed that it was TF 1500 RHD
export car, but they have no records of where it was shipped to.  Last
weekend while I was under the car bolting up the transmission, I noticed
that one of my front tires said "Made in Rhodesia" on it, it is an
"India Super" brand tire.  Do you think that this indicates that the car
might have been in Rhodesia (or possibly South Africa or India) years
ago?  The tires on this car are probably at least 30 years old (the car
had been sitting in dry storage since 1974 in Columbia, Missouri -
USA).  The other front tire is a Dunlop Gold Seal C49 and the rear tires
and the spare are "Advanix Remoulds".  All of the tires are 550/590-15
6-ply tires.  Any ideas on the car's origin would be appreciated.

On the subject of tires, since the front ones are pretty worn I should
replace them at least.  What is a good source for TF tires.  The owner's
manual states 550-15 while the tires on the car are 550/590-15.  What
exactly does the 550/590 mean?  I assume that black wall tires are
appropriate for the car.  From Coker Tire's web site the only 550-15
tire they have is a Michelin Englebert for $166 each.  They U.S. Royal
and  Firestone tires in 560-15 size and B.F. Goodrich tires in 590-15
size, all priced from $78 - $81 each.  Any thoughts on which way I
should go or on any other sources.  Also the tires on the car are a
6-ply rating while all the ones that Coker has have a 4-ply rating -
should I be concerned?

Thanks for everyone's help.  When I had a question the other day about
whether or not my spare transmission would fit a TF, I asked the list
and had several great answers within an hour - pretty good with me
living in the middle of rural Missouri and dealing with a 46 year old
"foreign" car!

Kevin Brown  '54 MGTF 1500 RHD  '64 MGB  '71 MGB V8
Odessa, MO