Re: [Roadsters] Newbie

To: Rick Cope <copocabanna@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Newbie
From: Fred Katz <roadster@astound.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:26:56 -0700
Cc: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Welcome to the list! Good choice, getting one that is nearly already restored.
I would say, get the best quality you can afford and start from there. Trying
to get it cheap with a rust bucket or parts car will cost you grief and money,
versus starting with a good platform. Better to grab something great that
someone else invested thousands of hours labor and dollars into, but had to
let go at a loss. (Some people put $10, $20, even $30 grand into them and sell
at less - did so to enjoy the ride.)

1600's are a good choice, as the engines are easier and cheaper to maintain.
Parts are readily available. 2000's are more expensive to maintain. I have a
'70 1600 and despite all the abuse I gave it over 15 years, the engine simply
refuses to die. Also have a 2000 but they need babying.

Price is subjective, many variables, be careful. Find a club, and ask a member
for tips.

Fred - SSF, CA
Sent from my iPad