Re: [Roadsters] Newbie

To: "Rick Cope" <copocabanna@gmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Newbie
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 15:12:52 -0500
Rick,

Is $6,800 a good price?  Depends on the car.  There was just one on eBay for
around $7,000 which looked OK, but not great.  Listing ended.  Don't expect
to get anything approximating fully restored for those dollars, though.  In
my opinion, you're better off buynig a good rsut-free car which needs
mechanical work and paint, than a rusty example with a newly rebuilt engine.
The bodies on these cars are expensive to restore properly once they have
begun to rust.

I live in the Chicago area, so the only way we find rust-free cars here is
to go to California, or maybe Oregon/Washington.  There are more roadsters
on the left coast than elsewhere in the country because that's where Nissan
really first got established.  And, no salt.  That doesn't mean o rust, but
it's sure a safer bet.

I looked at a '68 2000 in Indianapolis for a friend a couple of years ago.
When I first saw the car, it looked good, cosemetically.  A lot of filler
had been used to repair rusty areas, though, and by the time I saw it again
a year later, rust was starting to appear again.  So, my answer is to
completely dismantle the car, take it to bare metal, and make sure all
rusted areas are removed or properly encapsulated with appropriate coating
systems.

Both my cars came from California, so serious body rust has never been an
issue.

Gary