Re: [Roadsters] Setting ignition points on 67 1600

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Setting ignition points on 67 1600
From: Graeme Suckling <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 08:51:30 +1030
For gapping the points, you have described the correct method, points on
the peak of the cam.
That will set the dwell, the number of degrees that the points are
closed, which is independent of the ignition timing.
You can static set the timing by rotating the engine to the number of
degrees BTDC that is recommended and then rotating the dist. BODY to
open the points. Try to use cylinder #1 on compression stroke for this
exercise since that is the most convenient reference. Use either a 12V
test lamp or Volt meter to determine exactly when the points open.
Tighten the dist. clamping bolts and now you should be able to start the
engine and fine tune the timing at the correct revs and deg. BTDC using
a timing light.
Make sure all the points mounting and electrical connection screws are
tight so that the timing and spark are reliable.
Sent from my desk top clunker since that is all I have :)

Regards,
Graeme Suckling
http://tinyurl.com/6n5aza
Adelaide